Steps to Replace Brake Light Switch

Okay, I'm just going to be honest and admit up front I don't have enough confidence to replace the brake light switch myself on my 92
Camry, with cruise. I have combed through this newsgroup and have all the symptoms pointing to the brake light switch.
I took a look underneath the dash and it looks pretty cramped. Can anyone provide the steps to replace this switch? Do I need to remove pieces of the dash first?
Any help would be appreciated. If the consensus is to bring the car to a mechanic, I'm fine with that, but would like to give this a shot, but I don't want to start something only to have to take it somewhere at the end.
Thanks.
Jim
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:22:28 -0800, Jim wrote:

How do I say, it's not tough, but it's a pain in the butt? The switch is above the brake pedal, which means you'll have to screw yourself into an odd position to be able to get up there to see it. The removal and replacement is straigt forward.
I did the clutch switch on a Jetta a few weeks ago. I'm 47. It will probably be my last one! (I didn't hurt that much, but I'm not as limber as I used to be...)
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Jim) wrote in message

Rather than planning replacement, try adjustment first. Should be a lock nut you can loosen to allow you to turn a threaded adjustment to alter the engagement point for brake light activation. Sounds like you want to bring the pin switch closer to the brake pedal. In any event, access and replacement if needed shouldn't be too difficult. Just go slowly, take your time. You don't have to take apart the dash to reach the brake pedal switch.
Jim, I, too, am pondering the same question with my 93 Camry (with cruise). I look at the cramped space to work in and figure I'll go the mechanic route... and then think of the need to tow it (since I can't shift out of park) and then pay $75/hour makes me want to tackle it myself. I plan to buy the part on Monday and try it. If not successful, then to mechanic on Tuesday.
Instructions from Camry Auto help book (from library) says to "Disconnect wiring harness at the brake light switch. Loosen the locknut, unscrew the switch from the pedal bracket. Install in reverse. Adjust switch so that plunger is between 1/32" and 3/32" before tightening locknut."
Did you have any success????