Sun Roof on 91 Camry LE

What is the reasonable cost to repair/replace the original (TOYOTA) sun roof ? This model has a wind shield that flips up when the sunroof is fully opened.

The motor runs, but nothing moves. Fortunately, it is now stuck in the closed position, and no signs of any leaks. I have not tried, as yet, to use the emergency key to crank it open.

Could a body shop handle this replacement job, or should a TOYOTA dealership make the profit ?

TNX.

Reply to
Vince

Sounds like your cable(s) is(are) broken. Check online sources for this cable. If you go to your dealer, the price will make you weak in the knees...

Doug

Reply to
-

Dealer advised that the cable is either broken or off track. And, yes, when he mentioned the cost, I nearly had a stroke !

At the time of first having symptoms, there was difficulty in getting sunroof to slide, as if the teeth of a gear was stripping / stripped.

Can you give me a pointer to URL / online sources ?

TNX Doug.

Reply to
Vince

Hopefully others can jump in, but many dealers sell wholesale under other names (so to not seem like they are offering differing prices from their dealership counter). Here are two that I have seen mentioned. I don't know anything about these personally.

Do a Google search for "discount toyota parts" and you will get plenty of hits.

One other thing. Check ebay for used parts. I know a guy has been trying to auction sunroof cable parts for a Lexus ES 250 for a few weeks (probably exact same parts as a 91 Camry). Of course, there is the risk with used parts.

Doug

Reply to
-

yeah if u can turn the switch and all u hear is the cable moving along but u get no window movement, most likely its ur cable... i have a 90 camry too with a sunroof and my lil bro played with it lots so the cable gave out... i took the window out (its no biggie, just a couple of screw from the top and about a few more from the inside, however u might have to remove the light fixture and the handles on roof if u have any so u can move the roof panel to reach the 2 screws holding the motor down...) u do however need to get ur window open to reach the top screws ( u can pobly push the window back it should slide). after the screws are out u can close the window and push the window outward, the whole set up should come out as one. putting it back in is just as simple... u can then check the rear tips of ur window setup to check if ur cable connection broke off, in my case that what was wrong. im sure i would have use some screws and some wired to tie it down, but i just proceeded to to a junk-yard and get the whole assembly with window and all (and this one was even tinted) for half off for just $23.... so good luck!!!

Reply to
NOSKiDD

if ur 100% sure its ur give then change it, if not u can take a look at it, but most likely its ur cable ends

Reply to
NOSKiDD