Suspension replacement questions

I've posted to this group twice in the last 3 months, and was grateful to get some helpful replies to my questions.

In an effort to (hopefully) fix a troublesome steering problem I've had for months (which I was told it was probably "torque steer"), I plan on having the MacPherson struts for my 1986 Camry replaced - definitely on the back end, possibly on the front. It has 191,000 miles on it.

A little background: the right rear strut ought to be replaced soon. The situation isn't dire - the car doesn't sag there - but I can hear it squeak when I hit bumps, and when turning and stopping sometimes. The left rear corner seems OK, but my understanding is that when replacing struts, both sides on one end should be done simultaneously.

The front suspension is probably OK for now, though the left front is a little more worn than the right front (surprising that the front end is in better shape, as it bears more weight on that end.)

I plan to talk face-to-face with some shops this week, and expect to be told I should have both front and rear suspension replaced.

Can anyone offer smart advice on whether replacing ONLY the rear struts is enough, or whether I should have it all done at once? I don't have a lot of money these days, hence my desire to do no more than necessary. But if all corners should be replaced, I'll reluctantly do so.

2nd question: can anyone recommend a good brand for new struts for this vehicle? A shop gave me the name of K.Y.B. His ballpark estimate using them was a good bit higher than that of another shop. Maybe the better quality and durability makes them a preferred choice, though.

3rd question: would, and should, this vehicle get a 4-wheel alignment if rear struts are replaced? This old car is strictly front wheel drive.

Mike

Reply to
M. Hamill

Check the sway bar bushings - inexpensive, and common source of noises when worn. If you're really on such a limited budget, you can remove the old bushings and spread silicone grease on the mating surfaces and reassemble. That's probably all they need. The rubber can harden, crack and dry out over time. New bushings are around $20.

enough

Like tires - best to do all four, but OK to replace in pairs on the same "axle" ie., front or rear. But I wouldn't replace them for squeaking (especially when that's more likely coming from the anti sway bar bushings). Check for binding, loss of damping or oil leaks from the strut - those are reasons to replace struts. If they're not binding, the damping still works, and they're not leaking, leave them in.

Use Toyota parts. They come with a lifetime warranty, for parts and labor and are engineered to work best with your specific vehicle. Aftermarket struts generally ride harder so they can be marketed as improving "performance."

Yes, do the complete alignment procedure. If you do an alignment, do it right. Unless parts wear, alignment tends to be really stable on these cars, so it lasts a long time.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus