THROTTLE CLEANING AND OIL PAN GASKET

My wife took her 2002 camry to the dealer for state inspection. He recommended replacing the oil pan gasket-- we've seen NO OIL ON DRIVEWAY, for $300+, and cleaning the throttle from carbon for $150. She's had no sticky accelerator or irregular idle. Are they pushing unnecessary service? Are these prices within line for these types of services?

Thanks, mm

Reply to
Michael

2002, how many miles? At $450, I'd get a second opinion.

Are you talking transmission pan gasket or engine oil gasket?

Can you do it at an independent mechanic? Or do it yourself for ten cents on the dollar? (cost of gaskets, throttle cleaner solvent, can of compressed air for the throttle body shouldn't be more than $45.)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The car has about 50K on it. Primarily used to drive to the train station, once a year or so to NY. It's the oil pan...not trans.

Reply to
Michael

Seems like a young car. Take a peek under the car... do you notice the oil pan gasket seeping oil?

But do get a second opinion, if you like.

For reference, my '96 @ 164kMi and wife's '99 @ 93kMi haven't yet needed to change the oil pan gasket.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Dealer wants extra work?? The economy must be bad. ;) ;) ;)

First you really have to check yourself. Is oil seeping out of the pan gasket? Or just leaking down the engine (for example, valve cover gasket) and appearing to be from the pan gasket? If it's only seepage Toyota won't even pay for the warranty repair (while in warranty), so why should you?

If oil is leaking out, then you have to ask if the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve is plugged that the crankcase is being pressurized instead of having a vacuum. Also, is there a vacuum leak somewhere?

As far as throttle body cleaning. Unless you have one of those idle air control valves that likes to act up. Or if you are not having smooth idle then it's probably not necessary. However, I wouldn't mind doing that when they are changing out the iridium spark plugs at 120K miles and checking/adjusting valve clearances.

Yeah, ask for a sec> My wife took her 2002 camry to the dealer for state inspection. =A0 He

Reply to
johngdole

Dont you think 450 is worth free donuts, coffee and a big screen tv to watch while you wait. I dont either, Get local joe to have a look.

Reply to
ransley

be aware that some 'mechanics' will squirt oil around the pan gasket (or other places) to lead you to believe that you have a leak.

Thanks, mm

Reply to
trailer