2000 Cherokee Defrost and AC Problems

Have a ploblem with my 2000 Cherokee - windshield was fogging up slightly at the very bottom in the middle, then once while driving in heavy rain after about an hour couldn't defrost the windows anymore - there seemed to be moist air blowing out, and the smell was different

- you could smell and feel the moisture in the air, but I didn't think it had a coolant smell to it - had to turn off the fan and drive with the windows down to keep the windows clear. Air conditioner wasn't always cold either - would be cold first thing in the morning as long the outside temperature wasn't too hot, but if I was driving much during the day, eventually the ac wouldn't blow cold anymore. There was never any water on the floor or wet carpets.

Took it to the dealer and they said the heater core was gone and replaced it. Got it back with the promise that "your ac is as good as the day it was made" ...well, same thing - smell isn't quite as pronounced - only after 30 minutes and I get the moist air blowing out and fogging up the windows, when it's raining. AC has exactly the same problem- cold first thing in the morning, but doesn't last. Been back to the dealer three times now - they can't find the problem and want me to bring in in on a rainy day so that they can keep it for a few days so the tech can take it home and try and experience the problem first hand, which of course is inconvenient for me. The first time I brought it back with the exact same symptoms, they said that the AC clutch might be sticking - I should also replace this - however, the price will add another $1000 minimum to the $1500 I've already spent.

Any other ideas as to what to check? As it seems to be more problematic in rain, is there maybe a blockage somewhere? Did I need to change the heater core at all?

Thanks in advance, Sheila

Reply to
wedontdoit

do not have the ac clutch replaced if it is working it will be a waste if there is water on the floor of the jeep such as a windshield leak the ac can not remove the moisture from the air fast enough and if the recir door is seized or broke windows will also fog are you sure the ac is working the jeep is well known for evap coil failure which is in the dash next to the heater core just so you know i do the same work for people in my driveway for about

500 parts and labor

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Hello Sheila.

If you're using the defroster and the windshield does not clear within 30 seconds (heat or no heat!), the A/C system is not functioning properly. The A/C system engages when you use defrost mode. This system removes moisture from the air (both recirculating and outside air) before it enters the cabin, and this air should be dry as a bone.

Coolant leaks from the heater core produce a very unpleasant, sweet smell and usually leave a greasy, sticky film on interior glass surfaces. Very easy to spot and diagnose.

The dealer lied to you. Stop taking your vehicle to the dealership.

My diagnosis: low A/C refrigerant charge. Cost to fix for the DIY mechanic: $6-12.00, unless you have compressor problems.

How to tell if you have compressor problems? Engine on, turn on the defroster. Open hood. Look at A/C compressor pulley. The entire A/C compressor pulley assembly should be rotating. If it "cuts out" often, you have a low refrigerant charge. If it does not turn at all, you have other problems that a reputable A/C shop should dianose and repair.

My suggestion: take your vehicle to a reputable A/C shop and ask them to diagnose the problem. If they don't fix it properly, don't pay them. Use a credit card to keep them honest.

Reply to
JD Adams