Toyota camry 1999 check engine

Two day ago I bought this car. But the last seller told me that check engine light can be opened sometimes but it doesn't mean that this car has a mechanic problem.Is it possible?please help me

Reply to
fomenter

It usually does mean that something needs repair. Could be O2 sensors, charcoal canisters, or other item. A qualified repair shop with the right computer can read the exact code and determine the problem. Be prepared to spend $200 - $400 (wild ass guess).

Reply to
Mark A

Toyota may set fault codes too tight. After research, discussions with several dealers and auto service centers, and my personal experience I am convince Toyota has a strategy for check engine lights to come on even if very minor off center. They have set the tolerance parameters and out of range conditions/boundaries so tight to optimize engine performance, which may cause fault codes to come more frequently than some other cars. Unless system is optimal per specs for various EPA sensors, it is declared bad and you pay for repairs. This is an expense to Toyota owners. Of course EPA and emissions folks love it and so do Toyota dealers. So you be the judge.... Fine tuned perfect engine (Camry V6 is indeed a very smooth and refined engine)or money to Toyota service to keep sensors in top condition.

Reply to
hook50

If you look around you can find someone with an engine code reader (I heard autozone will lend ya one for free). You can convert an old PC into an engine code reader for about $80 (see

(Actually its the OBD-II interface into the car!)

If its the O2 sensors, you can by the so called generics (made by BOSCH) which appear to be identical to the factory except that there is no wiring harness. You have to cut the wires and splice them using the kit included in the O2 sensor.

For a V6, its $120 for two sensors versus $225 x 2 for the factory ones! ....Oh .. .you need to buy a special socket (available at your favorite auto parts store) to pull out the sockets. Get a haynes manual or chilton and they explain how to do it. They come out easy.

Reply to
kiselink