Toyota (inc Lexus) wild acceleration claims

This claim that some Toyotas and Lexuses go into wild and uncontrollable acceleration has been troubling everybody.

I have an Avalon and a new Solara convertible and have never had any issues at all.

I had floor mat issues in both cars and cleared that up. And Toyota claims that this acceleration has NEVER occurred in any car that did not have aftermarket "floating" floormats.

Until this is settled, the media has suggested that - if this happens - we (1) brake lightly but firmly, and (2) we shift from Drive to Neutral. I practised this maneuver today and there is no reason it wont work.

In a panic situation, I, or my wife, might have problems to do it, but it will work. And pressing the Start/Stop button for 3 seconds is supposed to kill the engine.

Reply to
hls

My 91 camry linkage buckled locking it into about full throttle, I shut it off, then opened the hood and saw the linkage bent, I moved it and it just popped back into place. It never happened again, it buckled at the manifold it was the cable and the cables tube somehow getting a kink in it. But maybe what I describe is different. They mention computer, I know on another car I had an error on screen that didnt get recorded into memory so the dealer could not fix it, when the car was turned off the error went away until one day it came on and I just went to the dealer and refused to shut off the car until the boss saw the Error on the display, crap happens.

Reply to
ransley

A Prius owner touched her cruise control's resume function, then her car accelerated out of control. She had her foot on the brakes, but the brakes heated up and caught fire. This was like the situation in which the California Highway Patrol officer and family of four were killed.

I'd say watch the throttle-by-wire and cruise control. German cars cut throttle when brakes are pressed. Every other manufacturer should do the same.

Watch the excellent series of articles/videos by ABC News:

john

As far as I know, everybody's cruise controls cut the throttle when the brakes are pressed. Ford got so paranoid about claims like the ones against Toyota that they have triple redundancy on the cruise control - brake light switch, the infamous leaking brake pressure switch, and logic in the controls that cut the throttle if the speed drops more than a few miles below the set point (i.e., if the brakes are dragging the speed of the car down slightly).

And why would you trust a TV new organization. CBS 60 minutesd lied to try and convince the public Audi 5000s had demonic acceleration powers. NBC faked crash photos to "prove" Chevy trucks would burst into flames in side collisions. Virtually all of the TV "news" organizations slanted stories regarding Ford Explorers and bad tires. The people that do network news know as much about cars as the average New York City apartment dweller. Think about that...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White