toyota oil filters

Stop to consider all the potential hazards in a lube bay or in a work stall to the unwary customer. Things to duck under, slippery stuff to step in, hot exhaust components, a lube pit to fall into, sharp objects, pneumatic tools, etc, etc. And who the heck really works near their optimum when some boob is asking questions? Do you want to be another DISTRACTION which could easily lead to forgetting to tighten a plug or put in oil or some other oversight? So the insurance requirements come about legitimately. BUT.... how do you assure peace of mind that the exotic oil you brought was actually used in your car? ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

Persoanlly, I take my car to people I trust to do the work right. Which unfortunately doesn't include most dealerships these days. However, to be fair, the local Ford dealer has always handled the small amount of warranty work I have had them do in an efficient manner, except when they bring in outside contractors (like when I asked them to adjust the window glass on my Mustnag - now that was a horror story).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Its a possibility... but I can see them pouring my oil in the car and I can feel the difference in winter running Mobil 1 vs. regular oil.

Yes I am aware your comments were rhetorical. :-)

Reply to
Car Guy

Toyota Canada ONLY uses the Japanese filters from what I have seen and been told.

Reply to
Car Guy

Vince, et. al,

Here is a link to the types of Filters Toyota Canada uses:

Car Guy

Vince, just seen the lastest bunch of OE Toyota filters, these are different from anythign I've seen before and are made in Thialand (i beleive) and the number changed too.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Swab, it is strictly insurance. Technically, they are not allowed into the shop except with a service advisor to look at a problem, and never allowed under a car on a hoist. This is strictly an insurance/liability issue and the dealer isn't lying. Technically, the same does apply for the small guy who lets you in too, but some people see big dealerships also see big dollar signs and "go where the money is". Its all true, its not doable in this day of frivolous lawsuits.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

In our shop, if you bring it in and tell us to put it in, this is all that is needed. It will be put in.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

It's the full flow filter. The by-pass is rated at half a micron if my memory serves me well. I remember reading all of this in an Amsoil's technical brochure. Maybe they have it on their corporate web site, I'm not sure. You can always do a Google search or go to amsoil.com.

JP

Reply to
JP

Is restriction there was, then the Amsoil's relief valve would still keep the flow of oil normal. This is taken from their web site: "On most filters a relief valve is provided to assure ample oil flow. It prevents oil starvation in the engine in the event the media becomes saturated."

JP

Reply to
JP

WHAT IF,,,, I want you to install olive oil in the crankcase .... would you still do it?

Reply to
Philip®

Well, it would work for a while. No, but if the customer absolutely insisted, we still wouldn't. We'd tell him why and if he really wanted it in there, he'd have to do it himself.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

This fellow did that. I found it interesting.

Ryan

That study was done a while ago and is getting a bit outdated. Also, the Toyota filter (which is actually sourced from several different companies and probably changes from time to time) is not included in the study.

Reply to
Mark A

Quite impressive! But not once a word about Toyota brand filters.

Reply to
Philip®