Tranmission level question

I just got my 2000 camry transmission flushed yesterday and this morning checked the level (engine cold) and notice the level at the "hot" end of the dipstick. Is this level correct for the cold engine/transmission

thanks

Reply to
david

No. When the fluid is cold, it should be in the 'cold' range on the dipstick. Notice I said when the fluid is cold, not the engine. Hold the dipstick to your cheek. If you get burned, then the level should be in the 'hot' range. Oh, and the vehicle should be running and on a level surface, too.

Qslim

If you check the dipstick with the engine cold and not running the level will be too high. With the engine cold, shifted through the gears and back, and idling, the level should be in the "cold" range on the dipstick, but this is only a preliminary guide. You need to bring the engine (and transmission) to operating temperature to get a final accurate level reading. This means driving at least ten miles. If the car has been driven at high speed, or stop and go traffic in hot weather with the air conditioning on an accurate reading cannot be obtained.

Reply to
Daniel

Qslim, If I see someone with red stripes and/or blisters on their cheeks should I assume they are a transmission tech? :-) Sorry, couldn't resist. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Daniel is right -- whether you check hot or cold level, the engine needs to be running.

With the car on level ground, start the engine, shift through the gears [with your foot on the brake!] and then check fluid level with the engine running [in Park].

And then follow through with the rest of Daniel's post for checking while hot.

Reply to
Hopkins