Yellow Check Engine Light

Our 2004 Camry with 18,025 miles on it just had the yellow check engine light (in right corner of dash) come on. I called the Toyota dealer and asked if they could tell me by phone what this means. They asked if it was blinking - I said NO. It just stays on. They said I had to bring it in for an analysis which can cost about $84, but any repair, if needed, would be covered by the warranty. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Any recommendation? Al

Reply to
Al

My 2005 at almost 20,000 blinks 4 times every time I turn the ignition on, but then goes away. go to AAAMCO and they'll chek it for free .

Reply to
EnriqueA

Take it to Auto zone. They will read the code for you for free. That way you know whats wrong before you take it to a dealer. Dealer will charge you 85 bucks for reading the code again but that is usually waived if the problem is covered under warranty. It called the check engine light and the reason to go to auto zone is to make sure dealer does not tell you some c*ck and bull story.

Also sometimes if you dont close your gas tank cap properly that light can come on. So first make sure you close the gas tank cap till it makes click sound. After a few cold starts if the the light is still there then do as I mentioned above. Good luck...

Reply to
learnfpga

I took the gas cap off and put it back on till it clicked. The check engine light now doesn't stay on. Thanks for the info, and I'm sure glad I didn't quickly take it to the local Toyota dealer. In fact, it is somewhat troubling that they would try to make a fast $84 dollars on something other places would do free. Looks like some kind of a rip off. Perhaps that's why it's so hard to find anything helpful in the owner's manual on this warning light. I also heard that if the car sits for awhile without driving (like a month or so) the engine light might come on for the first time or two that you run the car. Maybe they called them "Idiot Lights" because only an idiot would run to pay $84 dollars to the dealer without first being assured it is necessary. Thanks for the info, Al

Reply to
Al

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

But will Auto Zone turn it off for free? I ask because after my messed up spark-plug wire job that I described earlier in another thread, my check engine-light came on when the car started sputtering. I replaced the wires with Toyota product and it now runs fine, but that dang check engine-light is still on.

Reply to
Bob Greasepan

If you are sure that you repaired the problem related to the light, you can clear it by pulling the "EFI" fuse from the block under the hood for a minute or so.

Reply to
qslim

I think you dont need to reset the light. If the computer cannot detect the problem then it goes away after a few cold starts. Its should be actually 90% of the times emissions related problem and nothing to do with the engine. But who would care about it if you were told that its emissions problem and not an engine problem and hence the name Check Engine Light.....

Reply to
learnfpga

The car is under warranty, and Toyota wants to charge you $84 to look at the CHECK ENGINE light?

Didn't they used to do this for free too? They've outsourced customer service I bet.

Reply to
johngdole