01 elantra rear drums

Hi everyone......new to this group, but hope you can help a bit.

just replaced the brake shoes on the rear drums, and the parking brake is MUCH looser than it used to be. The car is a manual, so I use this brake all the time. I know that I hooked the cable back up to the shoes, I just need a bit of guidance on how to tighten up the cable a bit, orhow to the the self adjusters to work themselves out a bit more.

Or perhaps someone has had this problem, and knows where my solution lays?

Thanks for any help,

andre

Reply to
Andre

Did you ratchet the parking brake lever several times to adjust up the shoes Andre? It may take quite a few to bring up new shoes, but that's what the manual says to do.

Are you aware of the on-line manuals for the Hyundai? Try

Register and you'll find a lot of information forworking on your car. You have to use IE though - it's a poorly written website and it doesn't respond well to browsers like Mozilla.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm sure you had to screw in the rear brake adjuster to install the new shoes. You now need to screw the adjuster (called a star-wheel) out until the shoes just touch the drum. Of course, you'll need to pop the drum off to make the adjustment. If the parking brake is still loose after you do that, then remove the rear portion of the console and tighten the 12mm nut on the cable until you have the parking brake adjusted.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank you for the help, I'll give these a shot.

Andre

Reply to
Andre

How manny miles do you have on your Elantra ?? My 95 Elantra still has the Original rear brakes 149K miles 2th set of front pads

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

You better check your rear brakes as it sounds like they aren't working if they have lasted this long.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting