v6 2002 transmission drain

How much will it drain off the transmission when remove the hex cap. I was under the impression that it will bleed 2.5 qrts, but it lost more than 4 qrts. Happily for me I had 4 qrts of ATF type IV (the guy at the dealership pushed me to buy 4 instead of 2). I refilled the lost liquid but the dipstick is way above the "hot" notches. Should I loose some of it or it is no harm to drive with more liquid than normal?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

In news:na9Db.457828$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, Jim being of bellicose mind posted:

Engine running in Park after driving the car for at least 15 minutes. Should be no higher than the upper Full Hot mark. Drain some off if higher.

Reply to
Philip®

I would also suggest you do this procedure every 15,000 miles as cheap insurance. The best way is to open the drain hole and have the fluid drain off overnight so that you can get the most of it out. Then you can refill it with new fluid.

Reply to
Car Guy