Valve Noise in 99 Camry

I have a 99 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder with 85,000 miles. A few months ago I started to hear a ticking noise from the engine. The noise has gotten worse with the cold weather and is especially loud during a cold start and when accelerating at low speeds. It is really embarrassing to even have a passenger in the car now.

I have taken it to three mechanics, and they all said it was a valve noise. I don't think that two of them even looked at the valves -- just listened for the noise. The third mechanic said that the valve clearance was larger than it should be, but he wasn't that familiar with Toyota valves. The Toyota mechanic said that I could adjust the valves, but that it would cost $800-$900. All three acted like it wasn't a big deal.

Is this causing any engine damage?

Are there any oil additives that might help?

Thanks to anyone who can help. This noise is "driving" me crazy.

Reply to
EMC

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, EMC being of bellicose mind posted:

Oh COURSE it's not a big deal when you're on the recieving end of $900 bucks. ;-) Anything banging around loud enough to cause embarrassament is more than sufficient to get to your favorite dealer ... TODAY. Rather than give you a list of potentially expensive possibilities ... none of which will be cured by oil additives ... let it suffice that the car needs qualified attention NOW.

Reply to
Philip®

How about having a mechanic familiar with Toyotas check the valve clearance by removing the valve cover and doing an inspection. Usually, the valves do not require adjusting, but the shims can be replaced if needed. Once the cover is off perhaps they'll see what's needed and can quote a firmer price. How often have you been changing the oil?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Daniel M. Dreifus being of bellicose mind posted:

It may not be a valve at all. Idler pulley bearings on the serpentine belt are known to fail ... making a loud clacking sound until they completely come apart.

Reply to
Philip®

What i would look into is oil pressure and everything else, noise at startup after sitting a week is normal, but not loud enough to hear driving, only with windows open in a garage. If it recently started immediatly I dought its valves. but do it now

Reply to
m Ransley

started to hear a ticking noise from the engine. The noise has gotten worse with the cold weather and is especially loud during a cold start and when accelerating at low speeds. It is really embarrassing to even have a passenger in the car now.

noise. I don't think that two of them even looked at the valves -- just listened for the noise. The third mechanic said that the valve clearance was larger than it should be, but he wasn't that familiar with Toyota valves. The Toyota mechanic said that I could adjust the valves, but that it would cost $800-$900. All three acted like it wasn't a big deal.

Strictly speaking, valve clearance is supposed to be correct, but, as its so damn expensive and as long as it's not too loud ( like every one rubber-necking at the awful noise) it should be OK. Mine's got some valve noise at 100,000miles, but it is no more than some other later fours I've heard,...Camrys that is. Heavier summer grade oil (non-synthetic) does quiten them down somewhat I noticed (20-50 grade)

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James