Very strange Starting problem

I have a very strange problem with my Starter - or something. Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens, Starter-wise. The lights turn on, the radio works, and when I attempt to crank the starter, the headlights do not dim - however, the inside clock Does dim. (?) No, it doesn't crank. It acts like I didn't move the key past where the engine is turned on, like I need to turn it further around to the right. At first I thought it might be the Ignition Switch, and maybe it still is. Or the starter. Had the Alternator checked - charging system is good. Battery tests good. When it starts, it starts like a new car. It's just getting it to that point, where it's getting electricity I suspect might be the problem. Oh - if I get the car jumped, it starts.

Any clues? Spammers Persecuted

Reply to
Huang Chung

Huang Chung wrote: (Snip)

(Snip)

Check again after you disconect and clean both battery connectors on the cables and battery per se. Your local auto store can sell you a steel brush that will make these connections clean and shiny again.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

If the headlights do not dim during the cranking phase, then its not cranking,....by that I mean the starter solenoid is not even getting volts, so to this extent, the battery is ruled out. Soundz like the starting relay is dicky and when the car is 'boosted', the sick relay decides to pull-in due the extra volt or so of battery.This relay is situated behind the glove-box.

Another test is to apply full battery volts to the starter solenoid post. This will rule out the starter. Lastly, the automatic- trans gear-lever 'inhibit start' maybe intermittant. Try moving the lever slightly back and forth while trying thestarter.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks to you both, guys, I'm looking into this.

One thing occurred to me - if you've read my previous messages, you may have noticed I've been having some alarm nightmares with this car also (94 LE 4 cyl - mfd in Japan). I heard the alarm is somehow connected to the starter.

If this is true, I may have another th>

Spammers Persecuted

Reply to
Huang Chung

After-market alarm? These are a right-royal pain in the ass,...when they malfunction, as no-one knows how they are interacting with the cars electronics, unless you are lucky enough to get reliable info from the alarm manufacterer.

It may save time to get it removed by someone in that area: car-alrm installation.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James