Which caliper sliding pin grease to use?

The car is a 2001 camry 4 cyl. 82k mi. I'll be changing the front brake pads soon (this is the second set). The brake pads (Akebono ProAct Ceramics from tirerack) came with two one inch tubes of black looking caliper grease which has to be applied to the pad backing plates and also to the sliding pins. This is what is written on the box containing the pads.

When I changed the original pads two years ago that came with the car, the sliding pin boots were filled with a grease that looked like petroleum jelly. I had used a silvery looking grease the first time, which I bought from pep boys. The tube label read "High temp Grease" for brake jobs. My question is whether it is safe to use this high temp grease, or use the one which came with the brake pads?

I read somewhere that not all grease is safe for the sliding pin boots.

Please let me know your recommendations for which grease to use.

Reply to
shirish.manjrekar

Akebono ProAct ceramics! Good stuff for typical driving.

Use only "brake lube" specifically designed for brake systems. I would recommend the Permatex synthetic gel brake lube over traditional black/ silver graphite brake lube:

This is a clear green gel that doesn't harden like the graphite lube you get from Akebono. Dried graphite lube is kinda hard to clean off when you need to inspect and clean the brakes later like I do every couple of years. You can get the Permatex counter pack for about $1 for 5ml each at your local Checkers, Murrays, Advance Auto, and Kragen. The CRC ones at PeoBoys and AutoZone are the graphite type. I just use one pack per caliper.

Generally, petro based lube is not good for rubber. Brake parts cleaner will tell you not to spray on rubber. If you use a different type of lube you should clean off the old ones so as not to mix them. But I haven't heard of any half-way-decent brake rubber that can't take name brand brake lubes. You can always verify with Permatex and CRC to see what they say.

Reply to
johngdole