Breake grease - same name for copper grease ?

Hello,

I have to replace a caliper of the brakeclaw. In the manual, they mention something like brake grease to help assembling.

Today, i recieved a back issue of LRO (october issue). On page 199, there is a workshop about changing the brake pads.

2/3 through the workshop, there is a picture & a text line like 'apply a minimal smear of brake grease' As far as i can see, it looks the same as copper grease. Cane anyone correct me or confirm this ?

Does anyone know why you should not seperate the 2 halfs of the rear brake claw ? Does anyone know the torque figure for the bolts the holds the 2 halfs of the rear brake claw of a 92' RRC in case i still need to do dismantle them ?

Lieven Gillis, Belgium.

Reply to
Lieven Gillis

Assuming I understand your English (which isn't too bad), you are talking about replacing pistons in the caliper. You need 'rubber grease' to lubricate the piston seals for reassembly. There's a thread about this within the last week so have a google for it. Do NOT use copper grease.

Reply to
EMB

|| Hello, || || I have to replace a caliper of the brakeclaw. || In the manual, they mention something like brake grease to help || assembling. || || Today, i recieved a back issue of LRO (october issue). || On page 199, there is a workshop about changing the brake pads. || 2/3 through the workshop, there is a picture & a text line like || 'apply a minimal smear of brake grease' || As far as i can see, it looks the same as copper grease. || Cane anyone correct me or confirm this ?

No, it's completely different stuff. Copper grease will damage the rubber of the oil seals, leading to rapid failure. Brake grease is usually red.

|| Does anyone know why you should not seperate the 2 halfs of the rear || brake claw ?

No particular reason, but most people don't, as the chances of reassembling incorrectly or getting dirt in there are high. I've split the calipers on a motorbike and reassembled without too much hassle, but I wouldn't do it on a car. I'd buy new - my life is worth more than a few quid. If you are replacing the caliper (I assume that's what you mean by claw), then why separate them anyway? Undo old one, bolt on new one.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just read EMB's reply. If you mean you are replacing the pistons, then you don't need to split the caliper. There is enough room to get the old pistons out.

The pressures inside the caliper are huge. Easy to get it wrong, and then no brakes.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The thread that EMB mentioned:

The grease you need to replace a piston MUST be suitable for use with rubber.

I've never had any reason to split a calliper (claw). The seals between the two pieces are very unlikely to have been damaged. Replacement seals are not available from normal sources.

One half - two halves (We teach english here, too!)

Reply to
Dougal

Of course you could reply to Lieven in Flemish! I'm sure he'd appreciate the opportunity to correct your errors!

Reply to
GbH

I'm sure that Lieven will have taken it in the manner in which it was intended - helpful and educational.

If one wanted to criticise the english here you could have a field day

- and if you want to critise mine, feel free.

Reply to
Dougal

I was merely making sure I had understood the question correctly and wasn't attacking Lieven's command of the English language.

Reply to
EMB

ahem!

17H8764L & RTC1137 in stock.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I was waiting for it Richard.... all the caliper kits I buy include those anyway.

Reply to
EMB

I was merely alluding to fact? that the English speaking nations expect all others to converse in English and delight in correcting minor errors whereas they themselves cannot be arsed to attempt to learn the languages of their correspondents, indeed many fail to master English in the first place, preferring to bastardise it in one way or another. Considering that English is reckoned to be one of if not the most difficult languages to master, I think those critics have a dam cheek.!!

Reply to
GbH

English speaking nations expect other nations to speak english when they join english-speaking forums, hardly unreasonable. If I went into a french-speaking forum I'd be expected to speak french.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

He's right - again!

Reply to
Dougal

Hello,

Thank you all for the provided information, including the English spelling corrections. I still wander if anyone noticed the spelling error in the subject. ;-)

I have looked at the posting mentioned by EMB. I overhauled a clutch master cylinder (def 90 td5) a year ago & I now remember that the kit contained the red rubber grease.I will use that.

Still my question stands whether the product 'brake grease' is actually the same as 'copper grease'.

Thanks, Lieven.

Lieven Gillis wrote:

Reply to
Lieven Gillis

If you set aside the rubber lubricant which has been discussed, the 'other' brake grease is a high temperature grease used to lubricate adjusters and the sliding ends of brake shoes. Copper grease does not work well in these applications as it tends to dry out and has only limited lubrication properties.

In the specific case that you mention, the backs of brake pads (disc brakes), the grease does not need significant lubricant properties and copper grease should work well - personally, I do not use any grease on the back of disc pads.

Reply to
Dougal

Not it is not. Rubber grease is non-petroleum based so it doesn't damage the rubber seals.

Reply to
EMB

It stops brake squeal very well, and is an OE item on some vehicles.

Reply to
EMB