Yet another Question 2003 Camry LE 4 Cyl Trailer Towing

Has anyone run through the calculations on this with Toyota to see if the combined gross vehicle weight rating is really close to 6000lbs?

4000lbs for the car, and 2000lbs for a trailer. That seems pretty hossy, but the owners manual seems read that way to me. I am curious because the Taurus wagon this car is replacing had all kinds of limitations such as 1100lb trailer weight with two people, and you must reduce the trailer weight if you put more people/gear in the car. My gross combined vehicle weight would be closer to 4900lbs (for launching a small sailboat only), and that seems like I have a margin of error in there. I just want to be sure the car is up to this before I attempt anything with it. Thanks again for any info / discussion.
Reply to
BrEK

Not sure where you got your weights from.. I have a 97 Camry 4 and it weighs 2976lbs. I thought it was only rated to tow 1000lbs.. Maybe 2000 with trailer brakes? I dont have the owners manual anymore. I tow a boat with a total weight of about

600lbs and I would not want to tow much more and have to stop quick...certainly not more than 1000lbs... What boat are you towing, how far, how steep are the ramps, do the ramps get alqae on them and make them slippery?
Reply to
ROBMURR

It is rated for 2000lbs with trailer brakes. Since I am looking to go at most 100 yards to launch at a marina, I do not worry about panic stops and overheated brakes, this is first gear manuevaring only. But, the ramp is steep, concrete, and devoid of algea and other slickness. The boat is a 1600lb sailboat total with trailer, mootor, and all.

Thanks for your response.

Reply to
BrEK