04 taco

Looking at the '04 taco doublecab, V-6, auto, 4x2.

It can be ordered with a differential lock. Is this used for getting thru bad terrain at low speeds only? Can you go around a corner with the lock engaged? Hi-speed driving? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

The govt gas mileage numbers say this beast should go 17 mpg city to 19 mpg open road. What kind of mileage could a grumpy-old-man expect to get driving old-fart style? Assume the engine is broke-in correctly and running full synthetic.

Last question. What spray-in bedliner provides the best protection?

Any info really appreciated.

Reply to
Roger Terwilliger

I wandered over to the Toyota web site just to look at the truck specs. They are giving Toyota estimates (not EPA) of mileage on the '05 Tundras at 23 mpg/doublecab and 25 mpg/access cab.

Anyone know how Toyota's historical estimates compare to EPA estimates?

Reply to
Roger Terwilliger

The differential lock is only for low speeds. Since both wheels are locked when engaged, the inside wheel will spin when turning a corner, which makes using it on pavement not advisable. Unless you intend to go off road I doubt you will ever need it.

The mileage on my '04 Tacoma, V6 has been disapointing. I'm getting an average of about 15 mpg after about 8 tankfulls, a far cry from the EPA listed figures. I'm not a grumpy old man but my driving style is definitely old-fart style.

I'll stay clear of the bedliner issue. I just don't like the idea of the spray-on types.

Reply to
Steve

To late to order a 04, check e bay .

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

For spray in liners, LineX seems to be popular and the highest price. There are others including a do-it-yourself. I have a shell so I went for the Bedrug.

I average 16 city and 22 open road, and actually to a bit better. Know I can leave the cruise on all day, and stay at the speed limit. My former

1990 with the 3.0 did a bit less. Both 4wd.
Reply to
Alesandra

What is your tire pressures? Mine had 35 psi all around as opposed to the

26/28 psi recommended by Toyota. My mileage dropped from about 16 mpg city to 14 mpg after reducing the tire pressures.
Reply to
Esteban

Reply to
Alesandra

Yeah, I also don't think they are not making the '04 anymore, or taking orders - I think the '05 started being built a few weeks ago.

I like the smallness of the 04, but I'm surprised the gas miliage isn't better. Maybe the 240hp, 6sp will get into a 05 dcab with much better gas milage?

Naturally, you'd get a good deal on the 04 now, then again the latest and greatest Taco will hit the lots in a month or so and I wonder what the pricing will be.

I'm tempeted to hold off until I see one of the new 05 models, we'll see.

Oh yeah Linex is a very nice spray liner - will cost somewhere about $400 to have that done.

Roger Terwilliger wrote:

I was gonna wait for a hybrid truck, but got impatient and wound up at the Toy dealer. I looked at the taco and tundra - both were sweet but the tundra took my breath away. It was an awesome truck to drive. Only the gas numbers killed the deal. I was ready to sign to papers on the taco because of the minimal increase in gas mileage.

I went home to mull over the deal and looked at the toyota.com website. I didn't see any interesting numbers on the taco but they are indeed showing unreal mileage numbers for the 05 tundra (access and doublecab).

So I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for the '05's......

Reply to
Roger Terwilliger

I didn't see any interesting numbers on the taco but they are

Most people on the tundrasolutions forum are reporting around 18 on the highway (which seems low, my 5.7 Chevy will do that). My V6 DoubleCab 2WD Tacoma routinely does 21-22 on the highway at 70 MPH.

Reply to
houblues

Yeah, isn't the full size chevy silverado truck get very close the same mileage as the Tacoma? The Chevy has a V8 and has a large tow rating where the Tacoma has a V6 and a smaller tow rating - yet approximately the same gas mileage?

I'm still looking around - I like the little Tacoma Pre runner now, but I don't know why the gas mileage is poor compared to much larger trucks. I'll have to see this one in person and how much larger it got, but the 2005 Tacoma is suppose to do better in gas mileage - hopefully that info will come out soon. I guess they will be hitting the lots soon.

houblues wrote:

FWIW, I'm now getting about 15 mpg on my new Prerunner, Xtracab. (:

Esteban

Getting around 18 mpg on a tank of 25%/75% city/hwy. 2004 xtra cab w/V6 and TRD. I can live with that.

mr_b33r

A Toy dealer told me the '05 Taco with the 2.7 engine is supposed to get

35 mpg highway. ????
Reply to
Roger Terwilliger

yep - 35mpg is what I've been hearing too for the 2005 4 cyln taco. Hopefully soon the 2005's will hit the lots