1992 pickup 2wd 4cyl fuel leak

My 1992 pickup recently started leaking gas from the fuel line(s) around the tank. If you peered between the bed and the cab you could actually see it spurting out.

Well I know nothing of vechicles other than oil changes and such, but my dad is a former mechanic (now a welder), he came down and we lowered the tank and put new hoses on. This appeared to stop the leak, it definitely stopped the spurting.

However the leak is back, it is nowhere near as bad as before, but we can't tell where the gas is coming from. And someone mentioned to us that if one of the metal lines was rusty and leaking that they attached to a different part and that whole system would need to be replaced (I can't for the life of me remember the part name). Anyone heard of this problem, have any suggestions? I don't really want to put more than 3 or 400 bucks into the truck as it was my wife's brothers for 10 years and he didn't take very good care of it, though even without proper maintanence it has over 200k on it.

Any comments, help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks c.

Reply to
Chris Rice

22RE engine I assume? If so, your fuel pump is in the tank and it may be one of those lines that is leaking. Its under about 30-40 psi pressure so that would lead to the type of leak you describe. If bad, either have it repaired or replace with a pump from a junkyard.
Reply to
Roger Brown