1985 22R loosing coolant

My 85 22R 4x4 extracab is loosing coolant, but its not apparent to me where it's going. To start, I thought I would replace the radiator cap. Is there some issue with after market caps? I remember some discussion about do not use after market ________ in the cooling system. I guess several things could be wrong; head gasket could be leaking , maybe pin hole in radiator or bad hose. Would a water pump going bad consume water? What are water pump symptoms?

What's the best way to check the cooling system for leaks, can it be pressure tested ?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

82 Yamaha Virago XV 750 85 Toyo Hilux 4x4 extra cab 01 Taco V6
Reply to
sjohnsen

Thermostat:

Leaking out the weep hole at the bottom of the pump shaft. Could also be a worn timing chain that has eaten into the back of the water pump housing and caused coolant to leak into the oil.

Yes, have it pressure tested. You can also see if the pressure rises while the engine is running, too much might indicate that engine compression is pressurizing the cooling system and causing it to blow out the radiator cap and overflow the tank.

Reply to
Roger Brown

a worn timing chain that has eaten into the back of the water pump housing and caused coolant to leak into the oil.

while the engine is running, too much might indicate that engine compression is pressurizing the cooling system and causing it to blow out the radiator cap and overflow the tank.

Reply to
sjohnsen

I finally got a chance to start looking yesterday evening. Topped of radiator. Checked Cooling fan for excess free play, seemed fine. I started it up in the day light and let it warm while watched and observed closely. It did not overheat, BUT it had about 50 times too much exhaust, which gradually tapered down to 10 times too much exhaust. No external leaks or steam other than exhaust. Removed oil filler cap while warm & running. I don't usually do this, but I noticed a vapor / mist and the underside of cap had milky looking sludge. Pulled plugs - looked white & crusty / scaly thick deposits on electrodes and insulators. Tested compression, 1-4 checked: 180 , 189, 190, 185 PSI.. Book says is should be 171, and max difference should be less than 14 psi. Went to AutoZone, and borrowed a cooling system pressure tester. Cap pops off at ~13 PSI. but the adapters in the set did not fit the radiator neck. bummer. I would really like to pressure check the cooling system prior to digging in.

timing chain chewing a hole still seems likely .

Can the timing cover, ....chain tensioners.... be accessed from below by dropping the oil pan??? The guy at AutoZ suggested it was common to do the job without removing the head.. In my case the front grill is already off . seams like if radiator I would have easy access from the front also.

Thanks, Scott

85 22R 4x4 Hilux