1986 Toyota 4-runner MAF cleaining help

I was told that I need to clean my MAF to maybe help with some rough idling. Can anyone help me with this. Where EXACTLY is the MAF and does anyone know what I need to get to remove it for cleaning. I have an idea of where it is, but I could use some input to be sure. Also, I have sensor cleaner spray and everything already. thanks

Reply to
Drewsah

Telling us the engine would help.

Reply to
ed_herman

My mistake, 22RE

Reply to
Drewsah

I'm not sure the 22RE has a MAF as such. It has a flap in the unit above the air filter that senses air flow. You should make sure it moves freely. Also look for cracks or loose fittings in the tube that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body. If those are ok, then you probably could clean the throttle body. If you take the tube off the tb and look into the tb with the throttle held open, you can see if it is all black inside. If yes, clean it with the cleaner you bought. Use an old toothbrush and rags. Be careful to not spray too much(any) into the throttle position sensor which is the black thing usually on the right side of the tb shaft. You should also clean the tubes that have vacuum hoses on from the tb. Good luck and please keep us posted on results. Ed

Reply to
ed_herman

Yea, I actually have already cleaned out the throttle body about 2 weeks ago as that was one of the first things I was told to do. It was pretty gunked up with stuff and took a bit of time with a toothbrush some rags and some throttle body cleaner. While it didn't end the main symptom that I get, but I'm sure it helped as it was pretty caked with residue. I will give the flap in the unit above the air box a check and see if it looks ok. However, I just noticed something else that may be the key to my horrible idling problem.

The thing that just clicked to me is that the horrible idling and bad performance seems to happen after periods of HEAVY extended rains. I live in Hawaii in a city where it rains ALOT. I have only been in this rainy city for about a year and have noticed this relationship with the rain. Is it possible for rain water to maybe enter my fuel system or cause any other sort of problems. This just sort of dawned on me that my problem only happens after periods of heavy extended rains. The symptoms are that once started it idles fine for the first minute or two then once im driving it seems ok but once I stop the idling is verrry low and loping and on the verge of stalling it seems. Also, the acceleration gets worse and seems like the more I press on the gas pedal it will really delay and struggle then sort of kick in and accelerate. However if I just take it on the highway and drive it for a while for a couple days of no rain, the problem disappears and the truck drives and idles fine. Only to return after a rain storm. any ideas??

Thanks

Reply to
Drewsah

Reply to
Frederick Bell

Keep a can of WD-40 with you, when it starts to act up soak all the plug wires and dist., it should clear up.

Reply to
Joseph Myers