1990 Toyota 4X4 Charging Problem...Solved...

Greetings All,

I had a problem last weekend with the Battery and Brake Icons on the dash lighting up. This happened after I left the lights on all day and killed the battery. It was a 60 month battery and I owned it for 37. So I figured the $45 dollars for a battery would be fine, but also had a suggestion that the Alternator Brushes might be short and need to be replaced. The truck only has about 70K miles, so I figured the brushes were probably fine, but spent the $15 for the OEM Brush Assembly.

Today I changed out both the Battery and the Brush Assembly. I am sure that this will cure the problem. It did turn out the brushes were fine, but it had to be checked. This truck has the 22RE and it is recommended that the coolant be drained to allow for the removal of the hose that was in the way. I opted to try and work around this. I was able to, but in hindsight, I should have moved the hose.

Thanks to all who offered advise. It took 4 hours to do all of this, but I also put in new plugs, wires, rotor, cap and PCV. And then the battery and brush assembly. Should be good for a while...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka