1992 22RE valve adjustments

My Haynes maintenance book indicated that I need to adjust the valves when the engine is hot. But when I was talking to a mechanic friend, he says that I can make the adjustments on a cold engine, just use a different gauge feeler. Is this possible? If so, what gauge should I use for intake and exhaust?

I appreciate any answers given.

Reply to
Rick

I use 0.001" less gap to check valve clearance cold. So if shooting for

0.008/0.012 hot, try 0.007/0.011 cold. I do like to double check a few valves when hot just to be sure I have them set right.
Reply to
Roger Brown

Do it warm, take your time, it doesnt cool that fast. With the engine warm, remove the cover, roll it to TDC on #1, adjust #1,2 intake and #1,3 exhaust, now roll the engine 360' and do the rest. This will be #3,4 intake and #2,4 exhaust.

Reply to
MDT Tech®