Speedometer problem on '85 pickup....

Hi group,

Son's new (to him) '85 pickup has a speedo that quit working. Included with truck was a receipt from former owner showing he'd taken truck to a shop to get this problem fixed. The shop charged $144 to diagnose the problem, which they said needs to be fixed inside the tranny. Apparently a small drive gear is stripped. The speedo did work when the truck was purchased, only later did we notice the receipt, then speedo quit working.

Anyone had experience with this? Sounds like a tranny removal is needed to fix, right? Or, can the rear section of the tranny come off to fix problem while still in truck? BTW, it's a 5 speed.

thanks in advance,

Doug

Reply to
DougR

"DougR" sez:

Might be cheaper to just buy a cheap GPS and prop it up on the dash instead of fixing the speedo.

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

If its a 4WD, the speedo drive gear is in the transfer case. In either case, I think its in the rear part of the gear box driven by the output shaft. Not sure how easy (or hard) it is to replace, might check w/ a local tranny rebuild shop.

Reply to
Roger Brown