2000 Tundra Starter

Sounds like my Tundra starter is going south. Occasional dreaded click but always starts. Anywho, this thing is apparently under the intake for whatever crazy Japanese reason. Looks like I can take the entire intake off at the heads. Anyone have a good step by step?

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Get a Haynes or Chilton manual, whichever is available. It's a pretty involved job, not so technical, just lots of bits and pieces. You'll need two intake gaskets...one for each side of the manifold, and they're pricey. The bendix slides on a shaft, and that's what hangs up. To test this, when it clicks, someone else can touch the starter with a long rod and immediately tap it with a hammer. That'll free it and let it engage this time. This removes doubt about any other cause. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you open the fuel injection lines...don't need dripping gas and a spark from a tool touching anything live.

Bubba wrote:

Reply to
K. Shelton

Thanks all. Used info from Haynes and Tundra Solutions.net. Easy fix. Took me about 1.5-2 hours to tear down everything. Sumter Toyota sold me the wrong contacts at $15 each (ripoff). I went to another Bubba at local electric shop and he sold me the correct parts for $5. Put it back together in about 1.5 hours and runs perfect. Only issue was getting the fuel connector at the pulsation damper where it connects to the left rail to stop leaking. Good as new. Total cost less than $50.00

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba