2000 Kia Sephia Starter Replacement

My 2000 Kia Sephia (Manual) has 110k miles and sounds like the starter has quit. I can tap on the starter to get it to turn over, but once the car is turned off, it will not crank, it just clicks. I'm going to change the starter (it's at home). Do I need to get under the car, or can I change it from above? Looks like I have to remove the Air Intake system to get to some of the bolts. A related question, is the solonoid attached to the starter or is it seperate. I remember some older Fords had a seperate solonoid.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff C

Success!

I removed the Air Intake tube. I also removed the battery and put it on the side! One the right side of the engine, from above I was able to remove 2 of the bolts holding on the starter. I then jacked up the car and was able, with considerable gymnastics, to remove the bottom bolt. Point - Only use a 14mm wrench or socket. From back on top, I was able to slide the starter to the right and remove the power cable and the solanoid cable. Down at the NAPA Store in my town, they put the old starter on the bench and it failed 5 out of the 6 tests! I picked up a new one - minus the $60 core charge, for $105 with tax, put it in and the car starts like a dream. Total time for this amatuer; 3 hours.

For all those that think Kia's are junk, this one has 110k miles on it and this is the FIRST part that I've ever changed. I'll be buying another Kia!

Jeff C wrote:

Reply to
Jeff C

Well done , I haven't spent to much time under the hood so far except for fluids and battery .

Phil

Reply to
Phil