2000 vs 2001 Tundra ?

I'm looking at getting a used Tundra, either a 2000 or 2001 model year. Given that the 2000 is the first Tundra model, should I be concerned with any of the usual "first year model " issues, i.e., did Toyota need to work out a lot of kinks in its second year of production or is the 2000 model generally a solid vehicle?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

I bought my 2000 Tundra new, strangely enough in 2000. Here's what what's gone wrong with it. The front seatbelt return springs are a little weak - I can live with it. At about 35,000 miles I was getting a vibration while braking going down hill. Toyota replaced the brake system for free even though it was out of warranty. At about 50,000 I had a cracked exhaust manifold - Toyota replaced both sides for free. Other than these things it's been the most trouble free pickup I've ever had.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

No major changed in 2001, and a couple of TBS...different rear brake adjusters, seat belt retractors, etc. Be sure to flush and renew the transmission fluid with your choice of Dexron-III ATF (I prefer synthetic), and do all the other maintenance. The overdrive gearing isn't the strongest, so don't tow nor haul very heavy loads in overdrive.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I bought my 2WD 2000 in May of 2000. No issues after over 123,000 miles of country driving and a few trips up and down I-95. I keep the filters and oil changed when I get 'round to it. One of the O2 sensors went out at about 65,000 and Toyota replaced at no charge. Just had the local Toyota dealer perform an overdue bells and whistles 90,000 mile service including a timing belt change, new front brake pads, turned rotors, replaced serpentine belt, and changed all the fluids. I was surprised with a free loaner for the time that the truck was in the shop.

Only two things that bug me. It has weak seat belt return springs and the fabric used for upholstery is not forgiving with stray cigarette ash - it melts.

It's a keeper!

Cheers, FIN

Reply to
F Finecey