2005 a/c compressor

I bought my 2005 tacoma new and recently was having problems with the a/c light coming on. Also, I could hear the belt squealing. Brought it to a tacoma mechanic and he told me the compressor was shot ( he is a very honest, very reputable guy). He advise to not use the ac until I want to replace it...

Compressor toyota brand new - $1600 !! rebuild - approximate $700 used - he will look around for me.

Coincidently, a friend of mine with the same truck/same year (his is 6 cylinder mine is 4) has the same exact problem. Lucky for him, his warranty is entnded and he's covered.

Anyone know about this - is this problem bigger than I know about?

Reply to
newguyken