Deceleration noise

On a 1997 Chrysler Grand Caravan w/ 3.3L and 4 speed auotmatic w/

78,000. When decelerating in 1st gear there is a knocking type noise that slows down as the van slows. If you accelerate a little and it shifts into second it goes away. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply to
pete

Could be a wheel bearing that is heading south, does the van make any other noises like when your turning? What if you are slowing and turning?

Have you flushed the tranny fluid regularly?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
mic canic

Probably depends on what is breaking.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Is it not more a rattling/ticking noise like on some mountainbikes??. In that case it´s nothing to worry about, the gearbox sounds like that. Most people never notice it, but when you go by a wall with your window open you can hear it clearly.I have a Voyager 1995 that has

320k kilometers on it(don´t know what that is i miles)that sound like that.I was a little bit worried about that so i testdrived a 2001 at a local dealer that has 5k Km on it and it sounds just like mine.

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

I also found this in the faq in this group.

  1. Transmission noise: when shifting/stopping, buzzng/ratcheting

Bob Meyer wrote about the Stratus (Cirrus/Breeze)'s automatic transmission making a buzzing/ratcheting noise when shifting gears or pulling to a stop. He said this noise, which also occurs on the Acclaim and other cars, is normal and comes from the solenoids. It is most noticeable from outside the car. He warned that a continuous buzz or whine could indicate low fluid or a bad pump, "But if what you're hearing is only during shifting from park into reverse or drive or coming to a stop, then the dealer is probably telling you the truth."

Reply to
Janne S Sweden