Steering Column Noise

I have a 2005 X3. Recently, a low pitched squeeking type noise started coming from the steering column when I turn the wheel at slow speeds or when not moving. It sounds sort of like a windshield wiper on a dry windshield. It also happens intermittently.

I brought it into the dealer and they oiled the inside of the steering column. It didnt help and the noise is now louder.

Any ideas what this might be? I think it's coming from the steering column but it may be coming from the engine compartment near the steering wheel. TIA

Reply to
FB

Slipping belt? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

messagenews:xpaVg.5439$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

It's tough when the noise is intermittent. If you could have someone listen from outside the car when it is making the noise you might be able to pinpoint the source. I've had a noise like you describe that turned out to be the plastic trim surrounding the steering column touching somewhere near the back of the steering wheel, but it was pretty obvious that it was coming from inside. Just exerting a little force on it made it stop. I also had a similar noise from under the hood, which was caused by low power steering fluid. I used some with a leak sealant, and it's been OK now for over a year.

David

Reply to
David

"FB" wrote

It's probably the bearing or wire carrier or something in the column. My '01 330xi column squeaks, mostly when it's colder. It's a common problem, see "E36 Squeaky Steering Wheel" thread.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers