2005 Tacoma 4-cyl idler pulley

On my pickup with only 35k miles on it I seem to have a failing idler on the drive belt It is screeching like a birdie and will probably fail soon. Is this a common failure? I do drive in very dusty conditions as I live near Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii and the roads are kind of undeveloped, which may account for the failure. Has anyone had any luck in getting Toyota to spring for this replacement even though you were somewhat out of warranty? The warranty says 36 months & 36k, so I am within the mileage but not the time. The thing is that I am pretty sure that it didn't fail all at once, but with my driving I just never heard it. Anybody out there got any experiences to share?

TIA aloha, guys

Jim

Reply to
jim

You can first talk to the service manager and see if a "good will" repair can be made. Then give Toyota corporate a call, and see if they can arrange a "good will" repair.

If like other idler pulleys, it's about $20 part online, but it's the labor of course.

Reply to
johngdole

Ok, rockauto.com lists the slightly more expensive:

GATES Part # 36173 {Steel Smooth/Backside (70mm x 17mm x 33mm) - W/

10mm Bushing} Upper $30.79

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to