2000 maxima/motor whirl

I'm a first time poster with a 2000 Maxima. I'm hearing a small motor whirl/buzz when I turn off the car. I mentioned it to the auto-parts clerk and they said it might be a stuck fuel-pump relay? It doesn't happen all the time. I've also noticed the engine revs a little extra the next time I start it and the exhaust smells funky, like incomplete combustion. The signs seem to point to a fuel/ignition problem. I'd appreciate any insight from other MAX owners. Thanks.

Reply to
lupian

Is yours an automatic? If so, the whirring sound could be the electronic motor mounts. There is a tech bulletin describing troubleshooting and repair: a symptom when they are failing is a whirring or buzzing sound lasting several seconds after shutting off the engine.

Repair is to replace with new, re-designed motor mounts which is covered under 3/36 warranty only (not 60K warranty).

They "soften" at low RPM to control engine vibration, and then firm up as RPM increases above 2K or so to more tightly couple the engine to the drive train. I guess that when they fail completely they will stay in whatever state they're in when the failure occurs.

I couldn't fix mine right away when the buzzing started, so I disconnected them.... just idle up the engine to 2500RPM or so (to firm them up) with tranny in drive and trusted person on brake pedal, then disconnect the one electrical lead to each mount.

They are now in firm all the time. At first I figured I'd buy replacements and do the change over on a spare weekend, but the difference in vibration is so minor it just isn't worth it! Also, the firmer drive train is appreciated as there's noticeably more snap pulling away from a stop.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Reply to