2005 Tacoma - Mistake?

So you're saying that the Tacoma will be more powerful than the Tundra, per Doug's comment? Hard to believe.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:59:20 -0700, Rich Lockyer found these unused words floating about:

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

No... I said that the DC doesn't pick up the market segment that wants to tow larger boats or some such thing. The DC's towing capacity is the same as the Access Cab. It also happens to be the same as the 4-Runner, and probably the new Tacoma.

As far as POWER, I didn't say anything about that, but since we're on the topic, the current Tundra runs at about 235hp. The 4-Runner V6 is the same, but with less torque and with that peak torque at a higher point in the RPM band.

NEXT year, the Tundra will have VVTi, which will bump HP into the 280 range. I don't know if Tacoma and 4-Runner will get the same engine or not, but it makes sense for them NOT to produce two different V8 engines. There will be NO increase in towing capacity or GVW for the '05 truck.

This means that, as far as towing large boats or some such thing, the only advantage to the Tundra would be stability.

The Tundra will pick up the market segment that wants a bigger bed than the Tacoma, and the DC Tundra will pick up the segment that wants to be able to haul 4-5 adults, and have a bigger bed than the Tacoma.

If anything, the addition of the V8 and larger V6 to the Tacoma actually gives the economy-minded buyer a slightly more fuel efficient vehicle as an alternative for towing their boat. Economy will likely be comparable when towing, but when NOT towing, the Tacoma should do a bit better than the Tundra.

Toyota will continue to loose the market segment that wants to tow more than 5-7000 pounds until they come out with a 3/4 or 1 ton. It doesn't take much to hit 7000 either. A modest 23ft toy hauler will run about 5000 by itself. Throw two quads and a bike in there, along with fuel for a long weekend and fill the trailer's water tank and you're up there at 7000+

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Oh ya... my buddy had a 2wd that he retrofitted with a California Stepside. FUN little truck. The thing ate head gaskets though.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

One of the common complaints about the non-TRD Tundra is that the suspension is TOO soft and "luxury car like". The TRD suspension firms it up nicely. Without it, even the slightest washboard (including SoCal freeways) will have the suspension bottoming out in no time.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I guess there was no in-between step, without starting with the softer suspension and modifying it. Or, maybe I didn't do my research. I just wanted to get rid of my 92 Taurus and get a vehicle that would tow my small boat without my having to worry about breaking down in the middle of the Adirondack mountains. I eliminated domestic vehicles, for mental health reasons, but I came real close to buying a Crown Victoria for its rear wheel drive. The upgrade suspension was actually pretty solid. But, then I started seeing news stories about the secret feature: exploding gas tank. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes, I was happy with the 5 speed. Most of the time I got some wheel spin when leaving the driveway, & that was just giving it a tad of gas pedal. The reason for that is beacuse the TRD Off Road V6 Tacomas that came with the bigger P265-70R-16 tires also came with the rear differential lock up + 4.10 gears combined with the 5 speed. So 1st gear always gave me some wheel spin beacuse of the 4.10 gears whenever there was a bit a dust on the pavement.

Reply to
Josh

On 16 May 2004 18:26:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@internetjosh.com (Josh) found these unused words floating about:

What area do you live in - I tried to buy a 5 speed but they would only sell an auto in the DC.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Order that tonight, 2004 black pearle with lots of goodies!

Reply to
Darrel Mayer & Sharone Ross-Mayer

softer

Reply to
SteelersFan1998

Also, this comment is back to Doug Kanter,

There are actually two TRD packages now. There is the TRD sport package, which is for people who want a slightly higher performance truck but won't be going offroad. Then there is what we are accustomed to as the TRD Off Road package.

-Erik

Reply to
ToyTaco

Carefull looking at your packages however. There are actually 4 packages... two offroad and two sport. Certain features are not available without the TRD Offroad Package #2 (OG). I've been researching for a few weeks now just to find out which is which and what will be the best combination of features to get everything I want. Ultimately I came up with the following combination:

Tacoma V6 Auto 4x4 Double Cab 128" WB White (first pick) Red (second choice) (ONLY COMES IN THESE TWO COLORS WITH THESE PACKAGES TRD Off-Road Package #2 (OG) Vehicle Stability Control w/Downhill Assist (VE) Side Curtain Airbag (GY) Daytime Running Lights (DL)

The package selections will affect your choice of available colors as well. I confirmed this with my dealership and they ran these packages through the computer to verify my findings. I have mine on order currently (6 weeks) according to my dealship here in Northern California to get a Tacoma with these options. Anyone have one with this combination yet????

Reply to
anonymous