22-RE 4cyc cold start problems

I have an '89 4 runner w/ 22-RE 4cyc, auto, and about 160k miles. The truck has always been very reliable. For some reason as the temperature started dipping (near freezing) last fall, I started having some difficulty starting. First try it just turns over. Second through 4th try it catches just a little bit at the end of about a 3 second try. By the 5th-6th try it tries to start but dies out. Usually by 7th-8th try to starts up. After that it runs great. If I am running errands, it starts fine...until the next morning and the process starts all over again.

I replaced the battery, plugs, wires, cap, rotor about 2 years ago and didn't have any problem last winter. no check engine light or codes. I was thinking there is some sort of extra cold weather fuel injector or some part that is supposed help with cold starts. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jason

It's called the COLD START INJECTOR. It's on the side of the intake plenum in the middle.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Sounds like your batt or the connections. The cold start injector is probably not the problem unless it has been disconnected, since you need that csi, to start all the time and you said it always started without any problems when cold before.

Reply to
ww

You DON'T need the CSI to start all the time, just when it's COLD out, hence the name! There was no mention of cranking problems, just starting problems. There was also NO mention about previous starting when cold. Pay attention!

Reply to
MrFixit469

I meant "all the time", that is when the coolant temp is below the cut-off point, isn't that cold in regards to the motor, not your toes. Thanks for the correction if I have erred.

Reply to
ww

The engine always turns over fine. I am not sure what the set point is for the CSI, but my problem has a very distinct temperature cut off. If it is less than about 40 deg F, it takes about 7-8 tries to start. If it is above

40, it starts on the first try. In years past, it has always started on the first try, even when it is in the single digits.
Reply to
Jason

Could be the cold start switch. When trying to diagnose a problem on mine, I unplugged the switch. It would start fine when warm but I had to crank quite a while to get it to start when cold.

It's the green > The engine always turns over fine. I am not sure what the set point is for

Thanks for the tip. The CSI is on the intake plenum, but where is the switch?

Reply to
Jason

Its in front of and kind of under the intake plenum.