1998 Avalon Intermittent Starting Problems

We have a 1998 Avalon which we love, about 125,000 miles. It has pretty much been flawless until the past 2-3 months. It has developed an intermittent starting problem....usually on the first start of the day or after it has been sitting for several hours.

90% of the time, the car starts right off. Sometimes it tries to start (in fact I think it has started) but when I release the key, it has not started. It will usually start on the next try. More worrisome, sometimes I turn the key and NOTHING happens, I don't even think there is a click. However, if I just keep turning the key from off to on then the car will eventually start like nothing was wrong...usually on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th try.

I have taken it to 2 Toyota dealers who basically tell me that until the car is dead-on-arrival, they can't / won't diagnose it. The battery was replaced as part of the "fix" (didn't help). The spark plugs have recently been replaced also.

Is there some logical sequence of things to check / replace. I guess this is going to come down to part-changing. I was wondering what you would replace and in what sequence. Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated. I have pretty much given up on our Toyota dealers and will try someone independent if I came "armed" with some information.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
k3pi

I already responded directly to the OP via e-mail, but in case anyone is interested...

I had the same problem with my 2000 LS 400 last winter, and the Lexus dealer did want to change the starter until they could test it as the cause. To be honest, I would not want to charge a customer for a part without knowing for sure that it is bad. The most likely cause of the intermittent hard starting on your car is worn contacts on the starter solenoid. If you are handy, you can try replacing the contacts yourself and save some money, or you can just change the starter. The contacts cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25, while the starter is probably in the $300 range. If you get a starter, go with a Toyota remanufactured starter.

This web site has some hints on diagnosing and replacing the starter solenoid contacts:

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Ray O

Good answer, Ray. I'd agree about the starter solenoids but in my case, with a '97 Camry a couple of years ago, it was indeed the starter that was going west. and giving the same sort of intermittent starts that the OP describes.

Reply to
mack

Ray, many thanks for the reply so quickly.

One piece of additional information, there is actually one click you can hear (if you are outside the car) on the times when you turn the key and get "nothing." I assume this doesn't change your diagnosis, but I thought I would add this new info in case it did.

Thanks for your comment as well, Mack.

-Russ

Reply to
k3pi

I think the starter solenoid has 2 contacts, and the solenoid plunger has to make contact with both contacts for the starter to work. The solenoid plunger could still make contact with one of the contacts, making the clicking sound, but since it is not touching both contacts, the starter doesn't engage. I think my guess as to what to check first is still the same.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Ray O

Just try cleaning the cable contact end from the battery at the starter. It may be loose or corroded, but I think IMHO, that due to that corroded contact point, it is not able to pull enough amperage to start. The reason that it starts on the second or more tries is that it is arching a bit and it cleans itself just enough to start after enough repeated attempts.

Reply to
user

Sounds like starter contacts. Good info here...

NickySantoro