22R Problems (Update)

Last week I had post regarding my friend's 86 Toy P/U with a 22R. I had some time this week to remove the head to find the valves had touched pistons. Not by much, but enough to mark them. Apparently one of the chain guides broke, which caused the chain to skip a sprocket.

Now we're debating whether to buy a rebuild engine, or fix this one. I figure we'll have to replace the guide, new chain, new oil pump (while we got the front cover off), some minor head work, etc. It may be more labor intensive than an engine swap, but less money.

A friend who owns a shop, said he could get me a rebuilt 22R for $750, with a $50 Core, and a 1yr/12K mi. warranty. Others want $850-$1250 for a rebuilt 22R.

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

How many miles on the old one? If over 180k I'd go with a "new" rebuilt one. $750 is wholesale I suspect cuz they seem more like $1200 for a quality rebuild.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
sjohnsen

JW, I'm looking at pulling the head on my 22R due to head gasket coolant leak. My compression was good but like yours its got 180,000 miles and used some oil. I'm thinking valve job only for me. A friend suggested I get the Downey kit to drop a 350 under the hood. Just an idea. Can you share your source for $750 rebuilt 22Rs and the more expensive ones also? Thanks, Scott In east Tennessee.

Reply to
sjohnsen

Scott, I don't know where my friend is getting the 22R, but he's used this company for a while now. They also include the valve cover and oilpan. Most of the other's like, K. Watanabe Corp, ATK, don't include the valve cover and oilpan. Most of the higher priced ones are advertised as precision machined, and have new pistons, to justify the higher cost.

A 350 would be the way to go, but on my buddy's budget, it's not gonna happen. He just wants reliable transportation. I'm amazed after 18 years his P/U is still solid, other than the engine, no rust. Another mechanic offered him $500 after looking at the engine. I'd offer to buy it before the other mechanic does.

I don't know how much shipping is to Tenn. from Cal., but you might want to consider a local shop if cost is an issue. In my buddy's case it is.

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

There built good, I have a 84' Pickup 4x4 SR5 Extra Cab with 236,000 miles and still going strong. Uses about 1 quart of oil in 1500 miles since it had 60,000. Only major problem was had to have the 5 speed transmission rebuilt at 120,000 miles.

Nick

Joseph W> Scott,

Reply to
N. Funk