22re - not running quite right, surges.

After it warms up, it surges as you accelerate with partial throttle, like its missing, until you get to 3500rpm, then it takes off with better acceleration. It idles fine, it starts fine, runs better when its cold for a minute or so. I don't notice the problem when I apply full throttle. It is not real noticeable all the time.

new fuel filter, and air filter, Plugs checked, seem to be ok, its not rich. I cleaned the throttle intake and vacuum ports, checked for vacuum hose cracks. cleaned egr modulator air filter insert. Ran injector cleaner twice, concentrated.

each seemed to improve it a little, its getting 26mpg instead of 22mpg now, but I still feel the surging when I take off, like its running lean starving or missing, until it hits 3500rpm.....

Anyone have any hints?

Reply to
Cregster

This happened to my old '89 22re and a neighbor who works on a lot of Hondas suggested replacing (of all things) the thermostat. This worked for me. You may have something different going on. But, hell, a 'stat is only a few bucks and a few minutes work.

Goog luck.

FG

Reply to
FGrabo

thanks, I'll check the temp and Chiltons test for the sensor, (I may have to download the real manual!) I think I read something about the temp sensor does something to adjust the EGR, so you may be right. I wonder how you check for EGR leakage or proper closure? Is it as easy as plugging a vacuum port?

Reply to
Cregster