E_Brake Cable

Need to replace the front section of my ebrake cable on my 88 truck. Any thing I should know ahead of time. Is this just a dealer item? Can't seem to find one anywhere except dealer for $70.

Let me know if you know of any secrets for removing the cable under the dash and to the wing connector.

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray

Best bet is to go to the dealer and buy the part there, have someone else do the installation. I've had mine replaced twice on my 95 4x4. The dealer wanted to charge me $350.00 for the job until they realized they had replaced the last one 3 years prior and charged $175.00. So they dropped the expense to $195.00. They said it's a *itch* to replace because of the cabling system. They would have charged me $350 if they could have.

I only had the cable replaced, everything else was fine. Midas checked it out first but didn't have the part and recommended going to the dealer. They would have charged about $150.00, part included, if they had the right cable.

Jeanne

Reply to
JeanneMarie

Hello Jeanne,

I'd be asking myself, "Why have I had to replace my e-brake cable twice in three years?" Did you hang it up on some rocks while off-roading? If not, then you might want to investigate the cause of the failures.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I did wonder about that and asked the dealer. They said only 1 year warranty on it and they didn't know why it broke again. I don't do any off road driving with my vehicle. It could be that my driveway is on a angle and it puts added pressure on the brake.

My head gasket went at 80K, which I hear is not normal either.

Jeanne

Reply to
JeanneMarie

So no one out there has any ideas as to what's involved? I guess I'll just go at it this wknd. Probably take an hour or so I imagine. No way will a dealer get $350 of my money for a cable install. Thanks

Reply to
Ray

It's a 10 minute job. The trick is that there is a release by the brake pedal (under dash) that loosens the cable the 1/4" that you'll be lacking. The only place I could find the cable was also at the stealer for $70.

Reply to
Chuck

It's at the end of the e-brake handle near the brake pedal if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Chuck

The release is on the parking brake itself. It lets the handle go in another half inch so you can get the end of the cable out of the puller. You probably will need to pull the carpet up so you can see where it goes thru the floorboard. You might want to pull the new cable over the tranny with the old cable, so be cool till you estimate the job. It might help to take the parking brake loose from the dash, but there probably is a nut on the engine side that is a little hard to reach. Good luck. Ed

Reply to
ed_herman