3VZE to 20R swap

I have a '91 4runner manual trans, 70k miles with a bad 3.0 engine. I also have a '78 Hilux with 70k miles on a 20R engine with a bad body. Will the 20R bolt right up? I also have a 22re and computer but no harness, will that be an easy swap?

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
chuck

no

Reply to
someone

First off I have to ask what you mean by a "bad engine"? 70K miles is barely broke in on that engine. I've got one with over 300K and another with over 200K. Outside of valves jobs, timing belts, and the occasional fuel injector seal they just keep running. You would be better off picking up a spare 3.0 3VZE, doing a valve job on it, put a new timing belt in it and run it for the next 5-6 years without worrying about it. Remember to use new heat bolts (those torque to yield bolts are one-time use bolts), new fuel injector seals, and if the spare motor has high miles, new rod and crank bearings just because you don't know how it was cared for in the past. If you can locate a 93-95 3VZE motor you would have the upgraded timing belt tensioner but will have to swap out your 91 anti knock sensor and oil pressure switch because the connectors won't mate with your harness. Good luck!

Reply to
Handyman

I know what you're saying. I wasn't clear. The people I bought it from swapped engines and goofed something up. I have the old engine with 70k on it out of the truck and one with 150k in it. I think I can get the one in it running.

I have a '93 with 275k on it I'll pull up next to it and check vacuum and wiring.

Right there you told me something. They put a 95 engine it, so I'll be sure to check that out. Just got it home, so tomorrow will tell it all.

Worst case, I guess I'll do the upper end of the 70k engine. I plan on having this awhile and really would like to have a 22re or that 20r for the ease of maintaining the truck. Plus, it would be more like my 87 that I'll never give up.

Reply to
chuck