91 4runner (was 3VZE to 20R swap)

Well. I got the thing home and the battery charged and it wouldn't start. I pulled it up next to the 93 4runner and changed a few vacuum lines and no start. I looked at the distributor and noticed only 2 bolts in the cap because it was the wrong cap. The right cap with the bigger wires was in the back so I put it on and the coil wire wouldn't fit the existing coil. I rigged up a jumper between the two wires just to check it out and it started right up with no knocks or anything. I'm wondering if the right coil will plug into my existing harness?

Also, it was running high idle and running really rich. I have to pull some codes and go over the vacuum lines again. Things are slightly different from the '93.

If someone could steer me in the right direction with the coil situation I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, I'd really like to say thanks to everyone here that helped me out here 7 years ago when I turned my $100 87 4runner into a really nice truck.

Reply to
chuck

chuck

Does it idle at 1100 after it warms up? Is it with the A/C on or off? There is an idle screw at the top of the thottle body pointing toward the front of the truck that you can adjust with a straight screw driver once it is warmed up. The screw is just to the left of where the thick black air intake hose connects to the intake. Also look at those throttle dampner solenoids to make sure someone didn't adjust them way out of spec. Lastly. Check the throttle position sensor and timing. The throttle position sensor will affect timing. It has to be set with a feeler gauge and multimeter and can be a pain when it is on the vehicle. Before playing with it I would check to see if the screws that hold it in place still have the yellow paint on them. If the paint hasn't been broken I would pass on messing with the throttle position sensor and just go to the timing. If the idle is high only with the A/C on then there is an adjustment for that as well. Get the idle correct through the above mentioned procedure without the A/C on and then check that it jumps up to around

1000 with the A/C on. Best of luck.
Reply to
Handyman

I adjusted the screw and everything seems fine. I just have an extra coolant hose that runs between the plenum and intake on the passenger side. I think the engine was out of a '94.

I'm happy as can be. I got a low mileage rust-free 91 and a 92 parts

4runner for $850. I already fixed the tailgate window on my 93 from the parts truck.
Reply to
chuck