4-Runner - V6 or V8?

I want to know the pros and cons as far as mechanics and reliability of the two designs(HP is about the same and since my friend's not towing anything, Torque is moot).

Which is a better designed engine?

Also - which transmission is better? Is the 5-speed lifted from some other Toyota/Lexus platform or is it a completely new design?

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The v-8 is proven, but you bring up a good point. The 5 speed tranny is in it's first year run. I have the v-8 limited 2003 and love it. The tranny has been extremely good to me, but at 3500 miles, way too early to tell.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have a 3003 SR5 with the 6-cyclinder. It has more HP than the 8! I guess if you won't be towing anything sugnificant the 6 is better on gas. Working like a charm!!

Reply to
slope7NOSPAM

v6 with supercharger....

Reply to
Kryptoknight

V8 is a proven engine!

5 Speed auto is smoother More Torque in the V8 better resale! better over all!

I have a 03 Limited with the V8 I have driven both the V6 and V8! Horsepower is really the same The off the line torque you can feel the V8 and 5speed Auto shift like butter! V6 is whinny and slower 4speed auto C

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net