4Runner question

In my Toyota 4Runner, year 2000, 4WD, last Saturday an indicator light with the word "Check" and above it the shape of an engine turned on. Checking the owner's manual it recommended to take the car to a dealer as soon as possible.

Today I took it to the local dealer. They spent about 4 hours at a cost of $

225.00 to find out what was wrong. They came with the answer that the odometer and speed control needed replacement, at who knows what additional cost, they will quote tomorrow because their parts supplier was already closed.

I am not sure if they as BSing me, but I feel very uncomfortable about the whole affair. Shouldn't the electronic computerized diagnostic have uncovered this immediately? Has any one out there had a similar experience? Any comments, suggestions? Thank you.

Gabe

Reply to
gaus1

"gaus1" wrote in news:ncqre.95149$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

You mean they spent four hours simply diagnosing the problem?? and they had a CEL to boot?? Good Lord.

What code did they pull from the ECU?

I would pull the plug on getting this work done. Most likely the stealership has already reset the ECU so you'll have to wait for it to complain again and then drive it to an AutoZone or some mechanic to get them to read the code.

Geez, I hope you don't have to pay the two-and-a quarter. That would really suck.

Reply to
Rich

Seems like a scam. Can you post the name and town of the dealership so we can avoid/black list it. Thanks!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

"gaus1" wrote in news:ncqre.95149$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

One suggestion. Take your Toyota somewhere else. Hell, Autozone can read the codes for you if the light comes back on. I hope you didn't have to pay the dealer.

Reply to
RD (The Sandman)