Advice Requested: Passat ABS Problem

On Friday my 2000 Passat 1.8T 5 speed showed ABS faults three engine starts in a row. After a few normal brake applications the indicators (ABS and BRAKE) would light and flash, warning chimes would go off, and the dashboard display in the middle of the dash would flash messages such as BRAKE FAULT and STOP. I consulted the manual immediately, didn't drive the car (except around the block to see if it would reset after having been turned off), and I didn't drive it all weekend. This morning I took it to the dealer. At all times the brakes have "felt" and performed normally. I felt that if I were lucky, perhaps it was a loose or faulty wheel sensor, and I would get off cheap. I thought that if it were in fact the ABS module, I could decide whether or not to fix the car. I also thought it important, since I was getting more than simple ABS failure messages, to have the brake system checked out. The car had been to the dealer in May (four years old), and they had performed PM and done a brake flush but I have never experienced any brake problems.

It took the dealer two hours @ $75 per hour, to determine that the ABS module needs to be replaced. The cost is $1,600. $1,100 for the part, and $250 for labor (I already paid the $150 diagnostic charge) this brings the total to $1,500. And then there is another $100 in sales tax. The dealer assured me that the only problem with the braking system was the ABS module. I picked the car up today without having them install a new ABS module. They will replace the module without charging me to perform another diagnostic.

One more fact. I only live about a mile from the dealer. This morning driving the car to the dealer, the car did not trip the ABS fault. This evening, after picking the car up, I continued to drive it for errands and it did not trip the ABS fault.

I have a few questions for the group. Was two hours reasonable to computer diagnose and visually inspect the brake system? (I politely questioned the charge and confirmed that this is actually what they did. I think that's high myself although I paid it without complaint) Is the charge for the ABS module reasonable, as well as the labor charge? How likely is it that they might be wrong?, Or... that in inspecting the connectors and sensors, or running the diagnostics, they actually "fixed" the problem..... Or that it was a one day anomaly? Is it likely that other dealers, or non-authorized VW, or other specialty shops would be equipped to redo the diagnostics to confirm it is the module and do the work? (Hopefully for considerably less.)

Is the braking system on this car a well balanced system without ABS? (My suspicion is that it is a good system because it has felt and performed well in hard braking situations and the ABS has rarely needed to function. I am aware that the traction control will not function without ABS)

Since I felt that the cost was excessive, I asked for the number of the zone rep. They couldn't give me the name of a person. The service representative indicated that I would need to call an 800 number and start a complaint. Does this car have a history of bad ABS modules? It seems that ABS modules should last longer than 4 years and 50,000 miles. Has anyone in the group had VW pay all or part of ABS module replacement costs out of warranty?

Comments from the group would be helpful. I have been delighted with this car until now.

Reply to
Ron Ginsberg

...snip...

I've heard that sometimes the sensors get clogged with brake dust or something and that they can be cured by blowing the dust out. Maybe during their analysis, they fixed the problem. Let's hope so. On the other hand, they may have cleared the fault from the computer and the computer may be waiting until the fault happens maybe ten times before it will show the fault again (let's hope not!) If it took them two hours to diagnose the problem it seems like they might have been having trouble reproducing it. Under such circumstances, I wonder if they would just give up and say "replace the module." Especially since not repairing brake problems could be a potentially big liability issue for them.

The part can be bought at a discount here:

They list the control module for $758. But then who's going to put in in for you? Don't know if this is a DIY job or not. By the way, our techician here had a Honda with exactly the same problem. The dealer told her it would be $1100 to replace the ABS module. She decided to live with it (car seemed to drive fine). Bill

Reply to
William Maslin