4Runner seatbelt doesn't retract

Have a 97 4Runner, 125k miles. Seatbelt doesn't retract very well -- when I take it off it only takes up about half the slack unless I carefully ease it back, which is a PITA. Ordered a new one from the dealer but service said that even the new seat belts are poor at retracting. Is there anything I can do to make it retract better? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

Have you taken the rewinder apart and cleaned it? Usually gets jammed up with dirt and carpet fuzz. Try using silicon spray on the components (do not use petroleum products which could weaken the belt material).

Reply to
Wolfgang

there was a post in this group in the past month or so to a link on how to clean and re-tension the belt/winder. Try a newsgroup search.

Reply to
JeB

I have a 2004 Tacoma, and have the same problem with the seat belt. You're right, it is a PITA, but I don't know what the answer is so am just posting in case misery loves company. ;-)

-- Cheri

anything I

Reply to
Cheri

Here's one possible solution:

Basically retension the spring and also clean the belt to make it easier to pull back in.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

TY, I'll have my hubby try that.

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Talk to a toyota dealer about seatbelt warranty. I had a honda that did the same and they had to fix it for free under the safty warranty act

Reply to
bobmarley