83 Toyota truck lurching up hill

My truck lurches when I head up hill....as if it is lacking fuel. My first thought is the fuel pump...if I let off the accelerator and touch it gently it will pick back up and then start to lurch again when the rpm's increase. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and can confirm whether it was the fuel pump, or should I look into the carb before replacing the fuel pump? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, tim

Reply to
tmikovitz

I would start with:

1) Fuel filter 2) Fuel hoses for air leak 3) Fuel pressure gauge tapped @ carb and hose to locate it for monitoring while driving kend