solex 30 pict-1 accelerator pump operation

Mine is on a 66 beetle 1300cc engine. The accelerator pump isn't working. I've soaked the carburettor and replaced the pump diaphram. I took the brass spray tube out of the carb body and put gasoline in the bowl. No fuel comes out of the hole where the brass tube was removed when the accelerator arm is pumped.

How does this circuit work? Are there check valves in the inlet and outlet passages? If I blow air into the hole in the diaphram cavity I can feel it come out at the top of the carb, but can't feel it go in the other direction. There is another small drilling at the bottom of the fuel bowl, which I think must be an inlet to the fuel pump with a check valve. Is that right? I think that is what is stopped up so that no fuel can get into the accelerator pump. Does that sound right?

How can I get the accelerator pump to work on this carb. Also, can you still buy a new or rebuilt 30 pict-1?

thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom Watson

You are correct; there are (2) tiny ball checks. The inlet ball is hidden under a tiny threaded "plug" in the bowl.

The outlet ball is accessible once you remove the brass sleeve holding the pump nozzle in place. If the carb has had water in it, there will be lots of corrosion inside the passages and sometimes the ball will freeze in place. Hitting the side of the carb with a sharp whack can free it up. Better to get everything out and clean up.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I got it working. It was the ball located under the threaded plug in the bottom of the bowl. I screwed a long beetle tail light screw into it and pulled it out. Some carb cleaner freed it up. I sanded the ball with some fine sandpaper and reassembled. The accelerator pump now works.

thanks

Reply to
Tom Watson