85' 22R over heating

I bought an 85' toyota w/ a blown head gasket. I changed the cylinder head and bought all new gaskets. When I drive my truck up hills or hold or throttle my truck for a long time it over heats. Also, I have 488 gearing and my truck struggles up hills.

I bought a new thermostat but didn't put it in yet. I hope thats the problem. But I don't know why my truck has less power. It used to have more power before.

Questions:

  1. Could my catalytic converter or my muffler be clogged and that is the reason my truck has less power and it is overheating?
  2. My truck had a rear locker previously but it broke. Could the broken locker in be causing my truck to be slow and maybe making my motor work too hard?
  3. When I put my cylinder head back on my timing chain was very very tight. I could barely get my timing chain on. Do you think my timing chain is the wrong size (because my cylinder head is different from the one I had on my truck)?

Thank you in advance to everyone who helps me.

Reply to
Sykoxhara

Likely the problem is what caused the HG to go in the first place. Did you do any detective work to identify and fix the root cause of the failed HG? They usually don't just fail out of the blue, something causes them to go. My guess, based upon your symptoms (which are exactly the same ones my '85 had) is that the radiator is undersized and/or partially clogged. I installed a new 3-row GoDan heavy duty radiator and cured all my overheating problems:

Put it in, takes a few minutes.

Could be, have a look inside the inlet end, if its clogged, it'll be obvious. Likely if you were blowing coolant out the exhaust when the HG went, that left deposits in the cat.

How do you know its broken?

My new one was fairly tight as well when it was first installed.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks roger, I'm gonna try to adjust my timing and see if that helps. Do you know what the stock ignition timing setting is supposed to be? My truck was repainted so I can't see the VECI label under my hood.

Another thing, my car only overheats when I'm driving uphills for a long time or I drive it real hard for a while. If I'm just driving normal my truck doesn't seem to be overheating. I think I could start my car and leave it out in the sun for a few hours in idle and I don't think it will overheat.

Reply to
Sykoxhara

22R=0 BTDC 22RE=5 BTDC

Exactly my problems, only with air temps of 75+, and engine RPM > 3200, or speed > 65 or grade > 5% and it would overheat. Go slower, drop the RPM, drive an night and it ran perfectly cool.

Reply to
Roger Brown