85 heater core

Hey guys it's me again. As the subject says, my heater went out (late last year) and I temp fixed it by by-passing the core with a brass fitting. Anyhow, the weather is nice now and it would be a good time to fix it, but I cannot figure out how to get the bugger out of there.

I took my glovebox out, and the radio. Behind the radio is where the unit is, and it's kind of all one piece going from there to the blower motor on the far right hand side. There is a collector box of some kind behind the glove box that 2 A/C hoses hook up to. I cannot figure out how to remove the heater box assembly from the center of the dash without moving that A/C box (i still have R12 and don't want to cause a leak).

I checked autozone's online manual and it wasn't too helpful (i.e. remove these 3 screws and duct work). I did all that, but still missing something. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks guys.

Cheers - Josh (note to self: buy a shop manual for truck)

Reply to
TRDteam

Yes, the FSM is worth it.

Anyway, I assume you removed the hoses from the outside (engine compartment) and don't have the clamps on the hose nippes, so those aren't holding it?

Otherwise, if you remove all the ducts and clamps and stuff out of the way from the inside, the entire heater unit should remove as a unit once you've removed the three bolts.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

my heater core in a 89 supra I had went out to, or so I thought, it was actually one of the two pipes (one was the inlet, the other was the outlet pipe) that connected to the heater core, regardless, the fix was to replace the pipes and the core at the same time with new o-ring connectors at the junction. For the supra, the entire dash pad had to come off. PITA. I did as much as I felt comfortable with like the radio, glovebox, dash trim pieces, etc, then had a mechanic do the rest.

Reply to
TacomaDude