heater core

In my 1996 Jetta GLX, the heater core has sprung a leak. I was wondering if the entire dash board has to be removed to get to and remove the heater core? Or could it be remove just by removing the passenger side knee guard?

Reply to
sialek

FYI, I'd check for recalls (VW had a recall of the Fox for heater core).

Reply to
93 Fox

I can't say for certain about your Jetta, but the dash DID have to be removed to replace the heater core on my 94 Passat GLX. Heater cores seem to be a known problem with the VR6 engined cars. My independent garage even had a couple on the shelf. It hurt to the tune of almost $800, if I remember correctly. Even with a good cleaning, the cabin still smelled of coolant for months.

Same shop also did a water pump, which they claim is a pain because one of the engine mounts needs to be unbolted, and then the engine needs to be jacked to reach the pump. That one was about $400. It also failed in 11 months. The shop stood behind their work, and put a second one in at NO additional cost, saying all of their work is warrantied for 12 months, unless otherwise indicated.

I love my old Passat, but she can be expensive to keep on the road at times. Still cheaper than new wheels though.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

So true! So often people say "Why keep paying several hundred dollars a year to keep your car on the road?"

That pails in comparison to a few hundred dollars a month for a new car.

Reply to
93 Fox
1-Dash comes out so figure about 8-10 hours to do the job. 2-you can separate heaterbox from AC box 3- It's not a recall 4- it's not a known problem as I haven't done one in our shop for several years 5-make sure thermostat & fans are working correctly as if it sticks shut then cooling pressure goes high

Reply to
Woodchuck

I was out of town on a business trip when my coolant light came on. I brought it to the dealer, and they replaced the heater core (no charge) and the water pump ($600). I don't have any proof, but I have a strong suspicion that only one of the two was leaking, but that the pressure test forced water out through both places. But at least the car should be water-tight for a few years now.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Schneck