'86 22re starting problems

I have an '86 4wd p/u with the 22re, 137,000 miles. It runs like a top but the initial (cold) start takes multiple tries. It will cough and sputter, and stall for the first 2-4 attempts to start, then suddely will kick in and as soon as it warms up a little it is good to go from there on out. Once warm it will restart no problem. I suspected the cold start injector or time switch, so I replaced them. However, I live in AZ and a "cold start" right now is in 85 degrees. I would think it would be able to start in those temps without the CSI. I tried jumping the fuel pump test connector with the CSI removed from the intake manifold so i could see if its flowing fuel and it isn't, but I think it's too warm and it probably shouldn't be. Should it? The fuel pump is running and there is fuel under pressure coming to the injector. The resistance values for the injector and switch check out. When it was colder out (60 Brrrrrr) I was having times when it wouldn't start at all. It would just crank. Once it warmed up in the afternoon it would start just fine. It's almost as if there is no fuel at the engine until you crank for a while. I did try jumping the test connector for the fuel pump, let it run for a few seconds and then try to start. it didn't seem to make any difference. Sure does sound like a CSI problem doesn't it.

Recent work has included a new TPS which failed. I replaced it and set it as per the fsm instructions and it seems to be working fine. The timing chain was replaced. New alternator, thermostat, water pump, belts, hoses, fan clutch, etc. Any ideas? I

Reply to
nebwest2

Same problem with mine...

86 1 Ton 22RE, auto trans.

I pulled the cold start injector and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner; didn't help.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin here, one more thing.

If I pump the accellerator while cranking it usually fires up OK after about 3-4 revolutions. Idle doesn't seem to be all that high when it starts, but the engine doesn't stall.

For you gurus out there, if I had a check valve problem, would it take more than 3-4 cranks to get fuel up to the injectors? I'm still suspecting a cold start timer switch or injector problem.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin